Saturday, August 23, 2014

Famous Last Words Week 1

I think this is a great idea to do a little recap of the week and what we have learned, experienced, and pondered. I normally try to write in my own journal about different personal thoughts and experiences, but rarely do I take the time to reflect on my schoolwork. I think the weekly "Famous Last Words" posts will be valuable at the end of the semester to look back and see all the interesting things I have learned and really appreciate everything I have accomplished in the course.

The storybook favorites assignment got me excited for all the the things I will learn in the course. I LOVE how we are able to choose our own topics to explore. I am very interested in Greek mythology and am glad I can choose to read more about this topic.

Athena, Greek Goddess of Wisdom and War,  Source


This week I learned how to Google image search using the "labeled for re-use" filter. This is very helpful for this class when we have to use images in our blog posts, and it will be helpful in my other classes for projects. I have also never used a Google blog (Blogger) and usually use Wordpress. However, I am finding this blog is very simple to use and I do not spend more time trying to figure out the technological features that actually writing the content.

My other classes are mostly particular to my HES major and include Exercise Physiology, Exercise Testing and Prescription and my Senior Capstone. I am also enrolled in an Internship in HES class where I receive course credit for working at my job at Physical Therapy Central. It is nice that I can get credit for my internship where I gain so much knowledge specific to the field I want to pursue: physical therapy. My last class is a Women and Gender Studies online class, which resembles this course. We do not have a blog but we write discussion posts about readings and respond to our classmates' posts, which is similar to our responses in this course.

It is helpful in online classes that I can work ahead in order to balance my schedule. As I mentioned, I work part-time at an outpatient physical therapist clinic and am in the process of applying to physical therapy school. The applications are lengthy and take up much of my "free-time." I greatly appreciate the format of this course in being able to work ahead and complete assignments around my busy schedule. I look forward to the rest of the course!


1 comment:

  1. Emily, I just happened to notice your blog post go up (I've got a little notifier ... and the blog posts keep streaming on by... so many of them! wow!) ... and Athena caught my attention. I am so glad you want to work on Greek mythology! There are LOTS of great resources online, and I wanted to share with you here one of my favorite "Athena things" ... the full-sized replica of that old Athena statue which is in the full-sized replica of the Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee. That's where I went to high school, and I spent a lot of time at the Parthenon!
    You can see the replica statue of Athena just like the illustration you included here at Wikipedia: Nashville Parthenon

    ReplyDelete