Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Week 1 Storybook Favorites


 I was amazed at all the options to choose from for the storybooks and I had a hard time narrowing it down to just 3.

One of the storybooks that caught my attention was titled Monkeys in Brazil. The introduction describes how the storybook covers the different regions of Brazil and the exotic animals that live there. It also mentions how Monkeys play a large role in Brazilian folk tales. I studied abroad in Brazil and spent months there learning about the history, culture, and people who call Brazil their home. I was immediately interested in this storybook because it contains even more interesting information about the rainforests of Brazil and its inhabitants than I was able to learn on my trip. Almost every meal we would have cute little monkeys creeping in trees waiting for us to be done with our food. I also have a love for animals so the tales that this storybook encompasses made it seem like I would really enjoy reading them.

Another storybook that caught my eye was  Greek Gods GaloreIn being a member of a sorority, you constantly hear different stereotypes projected onto you. I was interested to see how the author of this storybook would tackle this subject in an interesting way that was not offensive or praising. I have also always loved Greek mythology and especially the Gods and Goddesses. They stood for so many different things with different strengths and each had such a unique story. I always wanted to know more. I decided this storybook would be interesting and after reading the introduction and seeing how the author was relating the campus and Greek life to the Trojan war and fidelity I knew the stories would include very interesting content. I ended up reading the stories and my instinct was correct in assuming the spin on the Trojan war using fraternities was witty and I enjoyed the comparison.

The last storybook I decided to focus on that really grabbed my attention was  Greek Godesses on Trail. The name caught my attention because I enjoy the topic of Greek mythology; especially Greek Gods and Godesses, but the introduction page had me wanting to read all the stories right then. The introduction was written as if Hermes, the God of language and writing. It was such a unique idea to have it written this way and the language and voice in which the storybook is written drew me in from the beginning. The four Goddesses are put on trail for their wrongdoings in actual Greek mythology stories and I think this was very creative of the author. This was my top favorite storybook I looked at.


No comments:

Post a Comment