Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Week 1: Un-textbook Picks

Week 2: I choose to start off my reading with Greek Myths: Ovid III because the story of Venus really fascinates me. I have always been interested in Greek Mythology and the elaborate stories of war, love, and wonder. There are so many options included in this unit that sparked my interest.

Week 3: Although I love Greek mythology, this week I wanted to branch out and do a biblical story focusing specifically on the Bible Women unit. I think many times the women in biblical stories are not as commonly known and I would like to explore into more detail the significance these women had on biblical stories.

Week 4: I have chosen the unit Ancient Egypt for this week simply because I have always been intrigued by Egpyt and especially ancient Egypt. I went to the Metropolitan museum in New York and spent hours looking at the ancient artifacts such as jewelry and tools from this time and area. I know that any of these stories would spark my already-growing  interest in ancient Egypt.

Week 5: I decided to stay in the Middle East section and choose the unit Arabian Nights. After reading the description, I was hooked knowing the "Alladin and the Lamp" story was included in this unit. Growing up my brother's favorite movie was Alladin and we watched it on repeat so I have grown to have a deep appreciation for the story reminding me of my childhood.

Week 6: I have chosen to focus on Chinese Fairy Tales for this week because I always think fairy tales are so magical and as a kid you love to imagine all the possibilities in the world. I think it would be interesting to see the fairy tales that Chinese children grow up listening to and fantasizing about compared to the fairy tales I grew up hearing.

Week 7: For this week I have chosen the Brer Rabbit unit from the African Traditions section. I grew up hearing the Brer rabbit stories but never actually knew it originated from Africa. I think I will enjoy reading the stories again and seeing how I remember them as a kid and if my perspective has changed now.

Week 9: I have chosen to read the unit Marriage Tales for this week. The description includes the story of a Zuni Cinderella: Turkey Girl. As a girl, of course I loved the story of Cinderella growing up so I am interested to see how this story of Turkey Girl compares to the version of Cinderella that I know.

Week 10: This week I want to do the unit Eskimo Stories because I really do not know much about Eskimo culture. I think it would be interesting to learn more about Eskimo stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment