Sunday, August 17, 2014

Week 1 Favorite Places: Brazil and Colorado


It is hard to say where my favorite place is but two places I have fell in love with while traveling have been Rio de Janiero, Brazil and Winter Park, Colorado. Both places I am drawn to for very different reasons and I think this is why I could not choose between just one.

Last summer I had the privilege to study abroad in Brazil. Exploring the people, culture, places and everything the country encompasses was an experience I will never forget. Rio de Janiero in particular was one of the most amazing cities I have ever seen for its diversity. It is the stark contrast of the beach and mountains, rich and poor, skyscrapers and nature that make the city beautiful. My favorite scene is from Impanema beach looking up into Rochina, the largest favela in south America. Some people view the favelas as a disgrace to the city’s beauty because they are slums, but I think they just add to Rio’s beauty. Samba music blares out of the clubs at night, people practice martial arts on the beach, and there is always a fun energy in the city. You constantly feel happy and energized while in Rio because there is always something going on whether dancing in the streets, concerts on the beach, or samba dancing the night away. Just because the sun goes down does not mean the people of Rio say the day is done. 
Rio de Janiero at night, wikipedia

            Winter Park, Colorado is beautiful and one of my favorite places for a very different reason. There is no loud music blaring or people dancing in the streets, but that is the reason I love it. The mountains, lakes, and trees make the scene a picture of calmness. I start my days on the porch with a cup of coffee and then head out for a run or all-day hike in the mountains surrounding the town. Packing a lunch and picnicking on top of the mountain while I look out into the beautiful nature below me brings me a sense of peace and allows time for reflection. 


Winter Park, Colorado. Photo by Chris Favero

1 comment:

  1. That picture of Rio is GORGEOUS, Emily - and how exciting that you have actually been there. Such a contrast to the outdoor beauty of Winter Park, too! And about Brazil, one of my all-time favorite mythological movies is Brazilian: have you seen the film Black Orpheus? It is AMAZING. If you have not seen it, I highly recommend it! Great film... and great music too!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Orpheus

    ReplyDelete