Monday, September 1, 2014

Storytelling Week 3: The Two Kings

In the land of Jalip, there was a young prince named Rashin. He was everything a young boy was expected to be: rambunctious, competitive, and just a tad cocky. As a prince, he was given everything he wanted, and he expected nothing less. His servants did not enjoy his presence for they were constantly running around the land at his beck-and-call. When he wanted lamb soup for dinner, the lamb from the nearest pastures would not meet Rashin's standards. No, his servants had to venture far off into the nearing lands where the pastures were larger and the herbs were fresher. Rashin was self-centered and prideful. Many people of the land hoped he would never become King. But Rashin's greatest desire was to be rule as King.

One day Rashin was called by his father, the King, to discuss the royal throne. Rashin was the eldest son and the rightful heir to the throne. His younger brother Nanweh only succedded him by ten months, but he would not be King. The King sat Rashin down and sighed.

"Rashin, you know that I love you, my son," started the King. "But I do not believe you are the fit choice to be King when I shall pass. I know you are the rightful heir, but many of the wisemen in the land have confided in me terrible things will happen to the people of Jalip if you should rule."

"But father," stuttered Rashin. "I do not understand why I cannot be King. What worries the wisemen? And if I shall not be King then who will rule?"

"The wisemen worry about your demeanor," said the King to his son. "They worry your selfish atttude is not fit to serve the people of the land. It is thought Nanweh would become King and rule once I die. He has a warm heart and already serves the people of the land. He understands the responsibilities that being King brings. I do not mean to destroy your spirit, my boy, but I ask when the time comes that you pass down the rule to your brother and let him be King."

Rashin was heartbroken. He knew he could be selfish and take advantage of his servants. He had never gone into the center of town and spoken to the people of the needs of the land and how he could help serve their needs. But, he never thought he would lose his chance at being King. Of course, the only way Nanweh could be King is if Rashin willingly gave up the throne. He decided right then that he would never give up his rightful name as King of Jalip.

Two years later when the King passed away, Rashin remembered his dying father's wish that he would pass down the throne to Nanweh. He quickly pushed the idea aside and walked out to publicly accept the crown and be declared King. As the crown was placed on his head, Rashin felt an overwhelming rush of guilt wash over him. His father had served so selflessly and with such honor. Rashin knew he could not do the same. He would be a disgrace to his father's name and ruin all of his progress during his rein. It was with this guilt, that he passed the crown to Nanweh and allowed him to be named King of Jalip.

Rashin was devastated. He watched Nanweh rule and how the land flourished under his command. He locked himself in his room in the palace and would not speak to anyone. Months went by and Rashin was still upset at giving away what he desired most: to be King.

One day, Rashin decided he could no longer stay hidden in the palace in shame. He could no longer watch his brother rule the land he always thought he would. So, he packed up a pack with clothes and food to last for a week and set out on foot to start a new life.

Days later when he was almost out of food and his clothes had been torn to rags from trees and brush, he ran into an old man who was aimlessly wandering in the forest. The man had been plagued with a loss of memory and could not remember where he had come from. Rashin decided that he should help the man for it was almost sundown, and an old man should not be wandering alone in the forest at night. The old man pointed him in the direction where he believed he had come from.

The two walked for hours, and just as the sun was about to set they came upon a hill where Rashin saw a huge golden palace down in the valley. The palace was the most beautiful thing he had ever seen. Rashin's eyes lit up at the beauty of the palace. He turned to the old man and saw his eyes were just as bright.

"My home," exclaimed the old man. "You have brought me home young man and for this I am eternally grateful."

"That palace is your home?" questioned Rashin.

"Yes, my boy. I am the King of Thorine. You must come to my palace and let me feed and cloth you for bringing me back," said the King.

Rashin followed the King to the palace where he was gifted with the finest silk robes and fed the best lamb soup he had ever tasted. He could not believe he was dining in such an amazing palace.

The King took Rashin aside after he had eaten and spoke to him in private.

"My young boy, I am eternally grateful for what you have done," began the King. "You helped a stranger and were selfless in your actions. As you can tell I am very ill and will soon be gone. With no sons to pass down the throne to, I need someone I can trust to rule my land when I am gone. I choose you. Please accept my offer and become the new King of Thorine."

Rashin dropped to his knees and broke out in a grin and also into tears. As he looked up at the King, Rashin could have sworn he saw his father's ghost standing behind the King nodding in approval.


Golden Palace of Thorine, source: DeviantArt

Author's Note: This week I decided to retell the story The Fairy Frog from the Jewish Fairy Tales Unit. In the fairy tale, Hanina was told by his parents to buy a gift from the market no matter the cost and he purchased a box with a frog in it. The frog ate all of their food and made Hanina and his wife poor, but they continued to feed the frog as his parents' dying wish. The frog grew to be huge and began to talk saying: “Because ye obeyed the wishes of the dying and did not question me, ye are now rewarded."  Hanina and his wife were given jewels, and money, and the gift of incredible knowledge. For my story, I focused on the message the story presents of being faithful and dutiful and the rewards you shall receive because of it.

Bibliography
Book: Jewish Fairy Tales and Legends 
Author: Gertrude Landa
Year: 1919
Source: Sacred Texts

2 comments:

  1. While I have not read the Fairy Frog, I think you did a good job explaining the original story and I could easily see how it connected to your storybook story! I like how you used the them of obedience in your story, I think you did it extremely well, and the story was very compelling. I think it's a good moral lesson, that if you obey then you will be rewarded. You were also really creative with your story, and how it shows a different circumstance than the original where a person can be rewarded for their obedience. Overall, I enjoyed your story and I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have not read the Fairy Frog, but you were very creative in your story. I enjoyed the lessons that it conveyed, especially that opportunities present themselves in the most unexpected of times. Alexander Graham Bell said, "When one door closes, another opens: but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us." Fortunately for the main character, he was able to forget his own self pity and unknowingly help the other King.

    ReplyDelete