Friday, September 5, 2014

Week 3: Famous Last Words


I feel that my storytelling writing this week based after The Fairy Frog from the Jewish Fairy Tales unit was one of my best. I really enjoyed writing this story because I liked the central message of the Jewish fairytale I decided to retell. The moral was “if you obey the wishes of the dying you will be rewarded,” and I was able to easily expand on this and make a new story out of it with the two kings. As heir to the throne, the oldest son gives up his rightful position as King in order to obey his father’s wishes. He is then rewarded and made King of a new land. I think it also shows that if you are dutiful and follow without doubt you will be rewarded. As a Christian, I believe this correlates to our relationship with God. If we serve him as he wishes and follow his way, we will be rewarded with eternal life in heaven. 

         I also think Savannah did a great job on her storytelling post this week. She took the story of Cupid and Psyche and made it into a poem called The Girl Who Couldn’t Die. She expanded on the way that Psyche tries to kill herself by adding different scenarios. In the story Psyche only tries to commit suicide by jumping from the tops of cliffs into rivers. I like how Savannah expanded the story to include different scenarios. It added more interest to the story rather than reading the same scenario over and over again. The story held my attention the entire time and I was wanting to speed through to see if she lived, died, and if she found love. I also loved the rhyming of course. The ending was great and I appreciate the irony. After she decides she does not want to die, she tragically gets struck by lightening and dies anyways. It reminds me of the book My Sister’s Keeper where she sues her parents to have rights to her own body and not donate any more organs to her younger sister with cancer. Her sister wants to die and no longer wants her sister to donate her organs. She wins the case and the right to her own body and no longer has to donate her body parts to her sister under her parents order. However, on the way to the hospital she dies in a car crash and her sister gets her organs anyways. 


Portrait of Cupid and Psyche (1843) by Jeane-PierreSaint-Ours(the story Savannah based her story on) Source: wikipedia



No comments:

Post a Comment