Sunday, September 14, 2014

Week 4 Famous Last Words


This week has been one of the more stressful ones since school has started. It was a busy week at work. I have exams coming up. I have family obligations. It just seemed like this week was packed full of things to do. As soon as I crossed one thing off my to-do list, four more appeared. The most stressful aspect of the week by far though was filling out my applications for physical therapy school. The programs are very competitive and require many qualifications to be accepted. For this reason I have kept my options open and have decided to apply to five different schools, most of which are in my hometown of Dallas. But of course, I will still be applying to OU. The application process is long and each one requires different essays and requirements. Some require a letter of recommendation from multiple certified physical therapists, while some one letters from professors or more specifically core- science professors. My week was spent inputting prerequisite course numbers into spread sheets, requesting transcripts, requesting GRE scores, answering about my accomplishments and volunteer opportunities. The list goes on and on.
As I reflect back, I have worked over 1,000 hours at a PT clinic, taken tough science courses, and now have locked myself in my room to finish these applications all in hopes that these past 3.5 years of school will be worth it. It is scary to think I have come this far and may not get accepted into a physical therapy program. I am thankful for the reading this week from the Persian Tales unit entitled The Story of the Wolf-Bride. In the tale, the boy’s horoscope designates that he will die a young tragic, death by a wolf. The boy’s father locks him in a cave to protect him from this awful tragedy, but in the end, a wolf eats him anyways. The last line reads: "Whatever is willed by fate, that verily comes to pass." This message was especially great to be reminded of this week as I was working so hard on my applications and thinking there was a chance it could all be for nothing if I did not get accepted. I have to remember that God has a plan for me and whatever he has willed will happen and that is my fate. 

The concept of Fate, image source


9 comments:

  1. Hey! That's really cool that you want to go to PT school and everything. It sounds to me like a lot of hard work, but really cool at the same time. I hope you enjoy that, especially since it sounds like it will require more school after the original four years...and that never sounds appealing. Anyway, I hope school calms down for you and I hope you make it through okay. Have a good rest of the semester and I hope to read more from you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm really glad I read your post this week! I'm so sorry that you're going through all this stress, but your ending to the post was wonderful. I really needed to see that. Whatever God has willed for both you and I, He will provide! I'm kind of in a similar boat as you. Not for physical therapy school (which is awesome by the way, 1,00 hours? Oh my gosh), but for getting into an alternative teaching program.I wish you the best of luck and don't forget to keep your chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily! I completely understand the stress of going through the post-grad application cycle while still remaining a full time student and a part time employee at PTC without completely losing your mind! However, you are a very hard worker and a tough young lady. Whatever God has in store for your life, I know that it will be great and fulfilling! I'm praying for you to start getting those interview phone calls soon (they really take a lot of stress off and make you stop questions so much if you're going down the right path)! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really stressful week! I understand where you're coming from, the future is really scary to think about. As students we've invested so much time into our education all to get a job in the future, so that uncertainty can be unnerving. I know you'll do amazing though and get into TWU (aka dream school!) Everyone says your senior year is supposed to be easy but I really don't think that's true! We have so many time commitments, capstone and other classes, and on top of all that we have to find out what we're doing after we graduate. I wish you the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Emily! I have several friends that have been applying for physical therapy as well, and I know it is stressful and very competitive. From what it sounds like though, you are extremely qualified and a hard worker. I'm sure you will do great! I know there are definitely some hard weeks in the school year, and it's easy to get stressed out. But I admire the fact that you took a lesson from your readings and applied it to your life. You're completely right, everything is in God's plan. You have put the hard work in and it is time to leave it up to Him. I enjoyed reading your post, I thought it was very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Emily, what an inspiring post! It sounds like you've really been hitting it hard this semester; it sounds so stressful but I'm sure you will make it! You seem so dedicated and like such a hard worker. I definitely think senior year has been my most difficult; it's supposed to be the easiest though, right?? Not... Anyways, hang in there and God certainly has a plan for you! Also, I noticed in your other post you addressed my storytelling post! I was so stunned to see that, but I'm so glad you enjoyed it that much and thanks for talking about it in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fourth week of school was my most stressful week too! I fell a little behind that week in this class, but I think I'm pretty much caught up. That was also the week I decided to go to grad school and sign up for the GRE. I definitely feel your pain of filling out applications and trying to find the right school. It sounds like you have a ton of experience and are passionate about PT so I think you'll have no problem!

    Good luck with the rest of your semester!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, I can completely relate to your feeling of battling a To-Do list Hydra - cut off one head, and two more grow in its place! I found your post very inspiring, though, with your message about God having a plan. Its easy to forget that when you're in the middle of working on things that could have a big impact on your future, but once you remember, everything kinda slows down a bit (at least for me!). I'm glad you were able to find a reading this week that encouraged you. Funny how that works out! Good luck with everything this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard from some of my good friends that PT schools are just as competitive as medical schools in order to get in. I hope you get accepted to the school that you want to get into. One of my motto's for life is "s$*t happens," which I think goes well with the story you read about fate. Good luck in all of your studies hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete